Do you want to know how to make the best use of LinkedIn?
Here’s my 5 step introduction on getting to grips with LinkedIn:
- Understand why you’re using LinkedIn. New business, networking, career progression – or all 3.
- Check your profile. Did you know that the adverts and job opportunities that you see on LinkedIn are highly targeted? Advertisers and recruiters can select specific criteria of who they want to see their adverts. It’s based on a number of factors including location, industry, company, job title and key words. Decide what email address you to use – you may get headhunted.
- Check your ‘Privacy & Settings’. You can amend how people will view your profile, allow messages to be sent to you, decide what level of account you want (do you want to pay for an upgraded account?) etc. To access this: Click on the small profile picture – top right tool bar. From the drop-down, select ‘Privacy & Settings’.
- Who to Connect with. LinkedIn is very good at suggesting who you could connect with. Remember quantity isn’t everything. Try and make sure you know who you are connecting to or at least why you’re connecting. You don’t have to accept all requests.
- Activity. How often are you going to log in to LinkedIn? The LinkedIn App is an easy way to keep updated.
Future posts will go into more detail on How to get Headhunted and How to do Business on LinkedIn.