Firstly, you are allowed feel just a little big smug, you are absolutely killing this job searching lark!
Now that’s out the way, let’s get real. Having multiple offers is a great position to be in, but navigating your way through the negotiation is not easy.
My tips are:
- Think back. Always return to the original reason you began your job search. The motivator you had at the first stage should always be your primary driver. If you were changing roles to reduce your commute, don’t let your head be turned by an opportunity further away from home with a big payrise.
- Pro’s and con’s. Compare the roles, the progression opportunities, benefit packages, salary, commute and any other factors important to you.
- Sleep on it. Good for any conundrum in life!
- Ask questions. Any company that wants you on board should be more than happy to answer any key questions you have, just make sure they are the key questions.
- Negotiate. Many companies expect negotiation, some even look favourably on it. The key here is to be realistic, think about it from the companies point of you and frame the negotiation in the right way. Imagine this as a client you were working with for a sale, ultimately if they agree to be flexible, they still need to want to work with you at the end.
- Go with your gut. Trusting your gut instinct is hugely important, think back to how you felt as you walked out of the interview, did you want that job?
Have you ever been in this situation? Let us know your experiences…