Whether you are actively seeking a new job for the new year or passively waiting to hear about that perfect career opportunity – it’s essential you make the most of your LinkedIn profile.
With the exponential growth of LinkedIn over recent years, LinkedIn is now one of the first places most recruiters and employers look for candidates. When preparing your profile, try to put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter and think about how they will find you.
Here’s our 10 top tips:
1. Make sure your LinkedIn Profile is fully up-to-date and matches your CV
2. Key Words – make sure all the key words you’d like to be found for are mentioned – ideally more than once
3. Skills & Endorsements – Make sure you add in all relevant ‘Skills’ you have
4. Photo – use an appropriate, business like photo – of just you.
5. Check your ‘Privacy & Settings’ to make sure your profile is correctly visible
6. Make sure any LinkedIn messages are directed to an active email address that you regularly check
7. Location – make sure this is your home location (not your current employer’s HQ at the other end of the country)
8. Industry – select an industry that represents you and your current company
9. Groups – join groups related to your field or even personal interests
10. Your network – grow your network of contacts – with relevant people in your industry