Getting a promotion can be a big challenge but there are things you can do to increase your chances of moving up the career ladder. Here are a few tips:
- Look at the job you are aiming for – what skills or experience do you need to gain to be qualified for that job? – try and get them.
- Ask for additional responsibilities in your current role.
- Be open to taking a sideways step as a means to an end.
- Focus on doing your current job really well – be prepared to go the extra mile, but beware trying to do your manager’s job for them
- Build a great rapport with your manager
- Make it clear to your manager that you are ambitious and keen to move up – but choose your moment for doing this.
- Above all, be patient – if you have the right skills, attitude and attributes the promotion should come, but be mindful that you may have to wait for the right opening to arise.
Julia Pennington, Managing Director