During any recruitment process the candidate is not the only one under scrutiny. Applicants are weighing up businesses before and during the process. It is therefore paramount that employers consider what candidate experience they are generating.
Below is some best practice advice if you wish to create a great candidate experience.
A GREAT CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE
ALWAYS COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CANDIDATES
Seamless communication should be a top priority
- Provide a well written job description. Explain the context of the job and how it fits fit into the wider business.
- Be realistic about what you ask candidates to prepare – particularly for a first interview
- Give some flexibility when providing times and dates for interviews
- Greet the candidates warmly and use positive body language
BE CAUTIOUS OF YOUR TIME SCALES
Speed is of the essence – a candidate who has applied for your role may well have applied for others.
IMMERSE THE CANDIDATE IN YOUR CULTURE
Give the candidate an insight into your company’s culture
- Morals – What does your company stand for?
- Uniqueness – What makes you different?
- Accomplishments – What are you proud of?
- Experience – What is it really like to work for you?
DISCUSS CAREER PATHS AND POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITIES
Make candidates feel that they are making the right decision. Explain what career opportunities may become available to them. Let them know how they might obtain them.
DISCUSS CONCERNS AND EXPECTATIONS
Always take all applications seriously and consider how candidates will fit within your business. Ask candidates if they have any questions or concerns about the role. Be open about salary banding and discuss benefits from the start. Open communications adds great value to the candidate experience.
CONTINUE THE RELATIONSHIP
Whilst a chosen candidate has accepted the job and is working their notice keep them engaged. Keep in touch with them perhaps inviting them to events or meetings. The candidate experience doesn’t cease the moment an offer is accepted.
Following these simple steps will greatly increase your chances of securing the best candidates for your business.
Copeland are UK automotive industry recruiters who find you industry expert candidates and reduce hiring times – focusing on quality over quantity.
Learn more about Why Employers Choose Copeland
Get in touch: E: [email protected] T: 07973 286342