In today’s candidate driven job market the candidate is not the only one under scrutiny. More and more potential applicants are weighing up the businesses that they interact with, deciding both before and during the process if it is somewhere they wish to be. It is therefore paramount that employers consider what candidate experience they are generating.
Below is some best practise advice to consider if you wish to create a great candidate experience.
A GREAT CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE
ALWAYS COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CANDIDATES
Seamless communication should be a top priority
- Provide a well written job description – Explain the context of the job and how candidates fit into the wider business.
- Be realistic about what you are asking the candidate to prepare – particularly for a first interview
- Be flexible when providing times and dates for interviews
- Greet the candidates warmly and use positive body language
BE CAUTIOUS OF YOUR TIME SCALES
Speed is of the essence – a candidate who has applied for your role may well have applied for others.
IMMERSE THE CANDIDATE IN YOUR CULTURE
Give the candidate an insight into your company’s culture
- Morals – What does your company stand for?
- Uniqueness – What makes you different?
- Accomplishments – What are you proud of?
- Experience – What is it really like to work for you?
DISCUSS CAREER PATHS AND POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITIES
Make candidates feel that they are making the right decision to move roles. Explain what career opportunities may become available to them and if possible, how they might obtain them.
DISCUSS CONCERNS AND EXPECTATIONS
Always take all applications seriously and consider how candidates will fit within your business. Ask candidates if they have any questions or concerns about the role, be open about salary banding and discuss benefits from the start. Open communications adds great value to the candidate experience.
CONTINUE THE RELATIONSHIP
Once a candidate has accepted the job and is working their notice period – keep them engaged in both the job and your business. Keep in touch with them, invite them to events or meetings and keep communicating beyond their start date. The candidate experience doesn’t cease the moment an offer is accepted.
Following these simple steps will greatly increase your chances of securing the best candidates for your business.
Copeland are UK automotive industry recruiters who find you industry expert candidates and reduce hiring times – focusing on quality over quantity.
Get in touch: E: [email protected] T: 01235 821942